Our Lady of Good Counsel School Community has been blessed and graced with the charisms of “compassion,” “faith,” and the “family spirit.” Our Lady of Good Counsel School is a compassionate, faith-filled family.
Our school’s philosophy is based on the Gospel principles of message, worship, community, and service. Worship is an integral part of the philosophy which enriches and enhances the lives of all at our school. Growing in faith by listening to God’s word and worshipping as a school community through the school Masses, rosary and prayer services, and other liturgical services are some of the ways we encourage our children and staff to grow as a faith community. We also focus on class service projects throughout the school year. Aiding our fellow students, school, church, and other communities is another important Gospel principle that we encourage in our students.
Accelerated Reading Program:
Accelerated Reader is a successful reading program that we believe helps the individual student to improve their reading comprehension by
- Making essential reading practices more effective for every student.
- Personalizing reading practice to each student’s current level.
- Assessing students’ reading with four types of quizzes: Reading Practice, Vocabulary Practice, Literacy Skills, and Textbook Quizzes.
- Building a lifelong love of reading and learning.
The unique features of Shurley Method give students the concrete steps necessary to relate the following:
- a definition to a concept
- a concept to a skill practice
- a skill practice to writing
- writing to effective speaking
Teachers in the primary level use the Phonics Plus program that is based on the Spalding Phonics Program. All elements of the language are integrated in spelling, writing, and reading lessons.
- Phonemic awareness
- Systematic phonics
- High-frequency vocabulary
The goal is for children to perform well because they understand the material on a deeper level; they are not just learning it for a test. This program:
- Relies heavily on visualization. Singapore introduces a middle step between the concrete and abstract called the pictorial approach.
- Believes the means to mastery is problem solving.
- Encourages students to learn how to use model drawing to solve those word problems that many of us remember fondly from elementary school. Instead of trying to picture the problem in their heads, then writing out the equation to solve it.
Our Lady of Good Counsel School is licensed to operate a Morning and After School Care Progarm which is licensed by the State of Hawaii. The program provides a safe place for our students who need adult supervision after school hours. Students enrolled in the program are also enhanced socially, emotionally, and physically as they interact with peers from other grade levels.